Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Marvels of the Handheld World

Recently personal electronics have taken a large step in the portable direction. No longer is a laptop the only way to take tech on the go. There are now several gaming consoles (Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, etc) that are both portable and powerful. In addition to games, cell phones have become a HUGE player in mobile technology.

I have seen, played with, and know several owners of the iPhone, G-phone, and Blackberry devices. The days of boring phones are long gone. Just the other day I was lost and called a friend to give me directions, which he looked up on his iPhone. How cool and progressive is that? Not only are these dynamic devices great resources, but they are acting as a whole new marketplace for software developers.

Core Games is currently working on an iPhone app (application), and this market has gotten very competitive. The beauty of the iPhone app is that you can parcel activities, games, etc into applications that require a small window of time, and users can take the device anywhere they go. Now granted, I currently reside in the Bay Area where technology is king and the new status symbol is how nice your phone is. But that aside, having games, or puzzles, or other apps that help you navigate your daily life is pretty cool. As I mentioned before, it’s hard to get lost when you have an iPhone with web access that allows map sites to tell you exactly where you are. Not only that, but there are new apps that allow you to GPS locate your friends. Sounds like a creepy techno-thriller movie if you ask me, though it certainly makes it easier to find someone to eat lunch with.

But look at where our society is headed. More and more the world is shrinking and becoming more digital. I think it’s great to have tools and games at your disposal. Who wants to carry around a Nintendo DS, a phone, and a pocket-sized map? For me, if you can combine items and reduce clutter in my pockets, I’m all for it.

As a game developer that hardest thing you can do is promote your products. Not everyone can afford Super Bowl airtime, or even lots of radio spots. But what if you could reach thousands of customers, and allow them to buy your products (at very affordable prices) in a single touch? That’s the beauty of mobile devices. Rich Diamond will soon be one of the many games available through Apple’s App Store. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to jump at the chance to take brain challenging puzzles with me wherever I go, and also reduce the clutter in my pockets.

No comments: